JAMES ORLANDO SHAW

James Shaw was born in Maine Oct. 30, 1827. In 1849 he headed for the California gold fields. In 1859 he married Telitha J. Teague.
In 1879 he packed two wagons and with his family and friend Halsey Cole, moved to Camas Valley, Klickitat County. For several years he was the postmaster of Fulda.
Several years later he took up a homestead in what is now the town of Glenwood. The patent was issued January 28, 1891. The north line was along today's Ladiges Rd. The east line was Mt Adams Hwy., the west line was in the area of today's Bird Creek Rd and the south line was just south of town.
The Shaws called their farm Glenwood Farm.
In 1886 Mrs. Shaw became postmistress of Glenwood postoffice.
For twelve years Mr. Shaw managed the first sawmill in the area. It was located on Bird Creek and manufactured lumber for many of the houses in the area.
The Shaws built the Glenwood Hotel.
James Shaw passed away March 30, 1913 after retiring to White Salmon.
Daughter Luella Betsy married John G. Wyers and daughter Lila May married Edwin Bartholomew.

Comments

Add a comment

No comments yet. Be the first to comment!

  •  

Photo info

Random image

Popular tags